Reportlinker recently published an industry report on today’s rheumatoid arthritis market, titled, “Rheumatoid Arthritis Market to 2020 – A Crowded Market Characterized by Modest Growth,” which also covers market predictions until the year 2020. Their findings reveal a saturated present-day RA market for second-line therapeutics indicated for moderate to severe forms of this chronic, autoimmune disease.
There are at least 12 approved biological treatments for RA worldwide. These second-line treatments include monoclonal antibodies (mAb), biosimilars and therapeutic proteins. In the last 16 years, the RA market has become increasingly competitive because of the considerable number of newly approved drugs. The niche for Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha (TNF-a) inhibitors is especially tight today as these products have become go-to alternatives for patients unresponsive to first-line Disease Modifying Anti-Rheumatic Drugs (DMARD).
Three TNF-a specific mAbs, Humira (adalimumab), Remicade (infliximab) and Enbrel (etanercept), ranked among the ten best-selling drugs in the world in 2013, raking in revenues amounting to $11.1 billion, $9.9 billion and $8.9 billion respectively. Despite these drugs’ impressive commercial presence, 30 percent of RA patients are still refractory to TNF-a inhibitors. Cytokine modulators, such as Rituxan and Xeljanz are growing in popularity as promising alternatives to TNF-a inhibitors, making the overall RA market all the more difficult to find a place in for emerging companies and their candidate drugs.
ReportLinker’s report predicts the RA therapeutic market to climb from $56.6 billion in 2013 to $80.7 billion come 2020, at a foreseen Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 5.2%. DMARDs, however, are expected to remain stationary, as today’s pipeline products are mostly comprised of second-line treatments.
ReportLinker’s analysis covers the following aspects concerning RA market growth:
- A brief introduction to RA, including symptoms, pathophysiology, and an overview of pharmacotherapy and treatment algorithms
- Detailed analysis of the drugs currently marketed for this indication: MTX, Remicade, Humira, Enbrel, Rituxan, Orencia, Simponi, Cimzia and Xeljanz, including key characteristics such as safety and efficacy, clinical trial outcomes, tolerability, dosing, administration, historical sales, price, and overall competitive strength, as well as a comprehensive heat map comparison
- Detailed analysis of the pipeline for RA by stage of development, molecule type, program type, mechanism of action, and molecular target, as well as analysis of recent clinical trials by enrollment, duration, failure rate, and promising late-stage pipeline molecules
- Forecasts for the RA market, including epidemiology, treatment usage pattern, pricing, and market size for the 2013–2020 period, for which data are presented at country level with further analysis of key market drivers and barriers
- Major deals that have taken place in the global RA market since 2006, analyzing licensing and co-development agreements by stage of development, year, molecule type, mechanism of action and value; network graphs of these deals are also included
Those interested to learn more can purchase the entire report here.